- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 canned chipotle chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 3/4 pound smoky cooked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sour cream and lime wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic along with the chipotle, cumin and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the black beans and chicken stock and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes. Using a potato masher, coarsely crush some of the beans.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage to the beans, along with the lime juice and cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 2 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve, passing the sour cream and lime wedges separately.