Mesclun Salad with Onion-Ginger Dressing
- SERVINGS: 12
The charred onion-ginger dressing is also wonderful served over grilled or roasted asparagus.
- Four 3/4-inch-thick slices of firm-textured white bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 large sweet onion (10 ounces), sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pure olive oil, for drizzling
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds mesclun (24 loosely packed cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, toss the bread with the butter and parsley and season with salt. Spread the croutons on a rimmed baking sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Season the onion slices with salt and pepper and lightly drizzle them with pure olive oil. In a large grill pan or skillet, char the onion slices over moderate heat until slightly softened and blackened in spots on both sides, about 18 minutes. Cut the charred onions into 1/2-inch dice.
- In a large bowl, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil with the vinegar, shallots, ginger and garlic. Stir in the charred onions and season with salt and pepper. Add the mesclun and toss well.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.