Meringue Bowl with Sorbet and Fruit
- SERVINGS: 10-12
This large, free-form bowl will be lightly cracked around the edge and slightly soft in the center.
Recipe adapted from Our Meals (Riverhead Books) by Heather Watts and Jock Soto.
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 pints sorbet
- 4 cups berries
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a plate as your guide, draw an 11-inch circle on the paper. Turn the paper over.
- In a large heatproof bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Set the bowl over 1 inch of simmering water and stir constantly until the whites are very warm and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff, glossy peaks. Transfer the meringue to the outlined circle and use a rubber spatula to shape it into a wide-rimmed bowl with a 1-inch-thick base. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 250° and bake for 1 1/2 hours longer, or until the meringue is light brown and crisp. Let cool completely.
- Carefully lift the bowl off the paper and transfer to a platter. Fill with scoops of the sorbet and berries and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.