- 1/4 cup pure olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Anaheim chiles, coarsely chopped
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup pitted green olives, chopped
- 3/4 cup golden raisins (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup drained capers
- 2 large hard-cooked egg yolks, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound Edam cheese, shredded
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic, chiles and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until lightly browned and softened, about 12 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for 1 minute, then push the mixture to 1 side. Add the ground beef to the skillet. Break it up with a wooden spoon and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until starting to brown, 4 minutes. Stir in the sauce, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until the meat is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Add the olives, raisins and capers and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the egg yolks, season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Spread the cheese in a large, shallow baking dish. Cover with foil and bake until just melted, 10 minutes. Spoon the beef mixture on top and serve hot.