- 9 ounces French dry vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 8 cocktail onions plus 2 ounces of their pickling liquid
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 8 ounces Simple Syrup
- 12 ounces Plymouth gin
- 20 dashes of lemon bitters, preferably The Bitter Truth
- 24 cocktail onions skewered on 8 picks, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Make the pickled-onion vermouth In a jar, combine the vermouth and cocktail onions with their pickling liquid. Refrigerate for 4 days; shake the jar once a day. Pour the infused vermouth through a fine strainer into a jar, pressing down on the onions to extract as much liquid as possible. Reserve the onions for another use.
- Make the rosemary syrup In a small saucepan, blanch the rosemary in boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer to ice water to cool. Remove the leaves and transfer to a blender; discard the stems. Add the Simple Syrup and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes. Strain the syrup through cheesecloth into a jar.
- Make the punch In a large pitcher, combine the gin, 10 ounces of the pickled-onion vermouth, 2 ounces of the rosemary syrup and the lemon bitters; refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Fill the pitcher with ice and stir well. Strain into 8 chilled martini glasses and garnish each drink with the skewered cocktail onions.
Contributed By Gui Jaroschy Photo © Lucas Allen