- 1/2 cup black tapioca pearls (see Note)
- One 3 1/2-pound honeydew melon, halved and seeded
- One 750-milliliter bottle Moscato d’Asti, chilled
- In a medium saucepan, cover the tapioca with 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the tapioca is chewy and plump, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and cool under running water. Transfer the tapioca to a medium bowl. Rinse out the saucepan.
- Using melon ballers of different sizes, scoop out 2 cups of melon balls. Chop the remaining melon and transfer to a blender. Puree until smooth. Strain the puree, without pressing on the solids, to extract clear green juice. Add 2 tablespoons of the juice to the tapioca. Refrigerate the remaining juice.
- In the same saucepan, bring 1/2 cup of the Moscato to a boil. Simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Pour the syrup over the tapioca and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon the tapioca and melon balls into Champagne flutes and top with the melon juice and chilled Moscato.