Melon-and-Strawberry Salad with Spicy Lemongrass Syrup
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Chiles add subtle heat to this exceptional fruit salad. Grace Parisi likes using any syrup left in the fruit bowl for cocktails; she mixes a little of it into rum and pours the drink over ice.
Plus: F&W's Guide to Fresh Summer Produce
More Strawberry Recipes
- 2 plump lemongrass stalks, bruised and coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh hot red chiles, quartered lengthwise
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pound strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 1 pound cubed (3/4-inch) peeled yellow or white-fleshed melon such as Canary or Crenshaw
- 2 tablespoons slivered mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- Set a medium bowl in a large bowl filled with ice. In a medium saucepan, combine the lemongrass, chiles, lime zest and sugar with 1 cup of water and bring to boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to the ice water bath and let chill for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the strawberries with the melon and mint. Strain the cooled lemongrass syrup over the fruit and toss gently. Refrigerate just until slightly chilled.
- In a bowl, stir the ginger into the crème fraîche. Spoon the fruit salad into bowls, top with a dollop of the ginger cream and serve.