© James Baigrie
Mediterranean-Style Chicken and Bean Stew
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Chicken Recipes and Tips
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 skinless whole chicken legs
- 1 fennel bulb—quartered, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can Roman or pinto beans, preferably Goya, drained and rinsed
- One 12-ounce can whole tomatoes, finely chopped, juice reserved
- 12 oil-cured black olives, pitted and quartered lengthwise
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped rosemary
- 1 large dried red chile (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter
- Add the fennel, onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the beans to coat them with the oil, then add the chopped tomatoes with their juice, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary and chile. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until the juices thicken slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the chicken and water, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 40 minutes; turn the chicken halfway through. Season the stew with salt and pepper and serve.
Make AheadThe chicken stew can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
NotesOne serving 428 calories, 19.9 gm total fat, 3.3 gm saturated fat.