© Deirdre Rooney
Meat Tacos with Mole Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
If you're short on time, you can braise the meat in the mole sauce for just 10 minutes—it will be great. But refrigerating the braised meat for 2 to 3 days will allow the dish's complex flavors to meld.
- 1/3 cup prepared mole rojo (red) or mole negro (black) (3 ounces)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded roast pork or chicken (about 1 pound)
- Twelve 8-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack (4 ounces)
- Chopped cilantro, sliced scallions and lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the mole into the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pork and simmer over moderately low heat for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- Wrap tortillas in a clean kitchen towel. Warm them in a microwave at high power for 2 minutes, or until hot and pliable.
- Lay 4 tortillas on a work surface; keep the rest covered with the towel. Fill each tortilla with a few tablespoons of the meat. Roll up the tortillas into tight cylinders and transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and meat. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the mole sauce on top. Garnish with the cheese, cilantro, scallions and lime wedges, then serve with the remaining mole sauce.