Meat-Stuffed Cabbage Cakes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 4 medium shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- One 1 1/2-pound head of Savoy cabbage, cored
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- In a bowl, combine the veal, sausage, bread crumbs, shallots, garlic, eggs, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and the nutmeg.
- In a saucepan of boiling water, submerge the cabbage, cored side up. Simmer until the leaves are softened, about 1 minute. Using tongs, transfer the 16 largest intact leaves to paper towels and pat dry. Cut out the ribs; reserve the other leaves for another use.
- Line a small bowl or coffee cup with a 8-by-10-inch piece of plastic wrap. Overlap 2 cabbage leaves in the bowl. Spoon 1/2 cup of the stuffing in the center of the leaves and fold the leaves over to enclose the stuffing. Cover with the overhanging plastic wrap and twist to form a compact, round cake. Unwrap the cake. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and stuffing.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In an enameled cast-iron casserole, melt the butter. Add the onion and carrot and cook over moderately low heat until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the stock and season with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage cakes, seam sides down. Cover and bake for about 35 minutes, until the filling is cooked through. Transfer the cakes to shallow bowls and ladle in the broth. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of parsley and serve.
Bright, red-berried Russian River Pinot Noir.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.