- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground habanero pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream with the milk and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until melted, then whisk in the cinnamon, salt, habanero and allspice.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until pale, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the hot chocolate mixture until smooth. Ladle the custard into twelve 5-ounce ramekins.
- Set the ramekins in a large roasting pan or two deep baking pans and transfer to the middle of the oven. Fill the roasting pan or baking pans with enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the puddings are set but still slightly wobbly in the center. Using tongs, transfer the ramekins to a baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours. Top the puddings with whipped cream and serve.
The puddings can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.