Quick Fideos with Chorizo and Butter Beans
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Using chorizo oil punches up the flavor of this pared down version of a Spanish classic.
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 8 ounces dried chorizo, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound capellini, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 3 thyme sprigs
- One 14-ounce can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup tomato puree
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a very large skillet, cook the chorizo over moderately high heat until crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate. Drain off all but 3 tablespoons of the chorizo oil in the skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the capellini and cook, stirring, until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the thyme, butter beans, chicken stock, tomato puree and the reserved chorizo. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Cover the skillet and simmer over moderate heat until the pasta is tender, about 2 minutes. Let the fideos stand for 1 minute, then spoon into bowls and serve.