Mixed Mushroom and Pea Shoot Salad
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
The flavors of mushrooms and peas always evoke spring to me. If pea shoots are hard to find, watercress or baby arugula make an equally delicious substitute.
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms—such as oyster, cremini and stemmed shiitake—thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 6 ounces pea shoots
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over high heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until evaporated, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk the mustard with the vinegar. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms and parsley and refrigerate until the mushrooms are cool, about 15 minutes.
- Add the pea shoots and Parmigiano-Reggiano shavings to the mushrooms and toss, then serve.