Maury's Pie Shell
- SERVINGS: Makes one 9-inch pie shell
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening
- 2 1/2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the pieces are the size of small peas. Drizzle in 2 1/2 tablespoons of the ice water and pulse a few times, adding a little more water if necessary until the dough can be gathered into a ball. Pat the dough into a 6-inch disk. Wrap it in plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. Let the dough soften at room temperature for 5 minutes before rolling out.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch round. Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan without stretching it. Tuck in the overhanging dough to reinforce a generous rim. crimp the rim decoratively and refrigerate the pie shell until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight, before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.