© John Kernick
Matzo Meal-Crusted Trout
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN PLUS 24 HR FOR THE OIL
- SERVINGS: 8
In place of bread crumbswhich, like all leavened products, are forbidden at PassoverRuss Pillar coats the mild fish with well-seasoned matzo meal.
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup water
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Eight 6-ounce rainbow trout fillets with skin, rinsed and patted dry
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Oregano Oil.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and water with a pinch of salt. In a shallow baking dish, toss the matzo meal with the pepper, garlic powder and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Dip the trout fillets in the beaten egg, then dredge in the matzo meal mixture; transfer to a baking sheet.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in each of 2 large nonstick skillets. Add 4 fillets, skin side up, to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned at the edges, 5 minutes. Turn and cook until the skin is crisp and the fish is just opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with salt. Serve with the Oregano Oil.