© Con Poulos
Matcha-Dusted Caramel Almonds
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: About 3 cups
These supercrunchy, salty-sweet almonds are tossed in a homemade caramel, then dusted with fragrant green-tea powder and sea salt.
Slideshow: Make-Ahead Snacks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Big pinch of salt
- 1/2 pound unsalted roasted almonds (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons matcha green tea powder (see Note)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 tablespoons of water and cook over moderate heat, swirling the pan, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, brushing down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush, until a deep-amber caramel forms, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter and salt. Add the almonds and quickly stir to coat them in the caramel. Scrape the almonds onto the prepared baking sheet and, using a spatula, spread in a single layer; let cool.
- Sift the matcha into a large bowl. Break the nut clusters into single nuts. Working in batches, toss the nuts in the matcha, then toss the nuts in a sieve to shake off any excess powder. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Make AheadThe nuts can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
NotesMatcha is Japanese powdered green tea. Look for it at Asian markets, large grocery stores and on amazon.com.