- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons matcha powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of kosher salt
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 8-inch baking pans and line them with parchment paper, or line muffin pans with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk tother the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Whisk in the boiling water.
Pour the batter into the pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes for cupcakes and about 30 minutes for cakes.
Transfer the cakes to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
To make the frosting, beat together all ingredients until smooth.
Frost the cakes as desired and serve.