Mashed Yukon Golds with Chives
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
"It's mandatory to have great mashed potatoes with cream at Thanksgiving," chef Lee Hefter says. This version is a riff on baked potatoes with sour cream and chives.
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 5 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, warmed
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Salt the water and cook the potatoes over moderately high heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Shake the pot over moderately high heat for 1 minute to dry out the potatoes.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer into another pot. Add the cream, butter and buttermilk to the potatoes and stir well. Fold in the chives and season with salt and pepper. Serve piping hot.
Make AheadThe potatoes can be kept warm in the pan for up to 30 minutes. Fold in the chives just before serving.