Mashed Sweet Potato Gratin with Smoked Gouda and Shallots
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This healthy and delicious gratin is low on dairy, thanks to a combination of sweet potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes, which create the perfect creamy texture.
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large shallots (6 ounces), thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook all of the potatoes with a large pinch of salt until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Add the cayenne, nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of the stock. Mash the potatoes until creamy and almost smooth, adding more broth if needed. Season with salt, then spread the mashed potatoes evenly in a medium baking dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler with the rack 6 inches from the heat. In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Scatter the shallots over the potatoes, then top with the cheese.
- Broil the gratin until the cheese is melted and the shallots are crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 300° oven.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.