- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large shallots (6 ounces), thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, grated (3/4 cup)
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook all of the potatoes with a large pinch of salt until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pot. Add the cayenne, nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of the stock. Mash the potatoes until creamy and almost smooth, adding more broth if needed. Season with salt, then spread the mashed potatoes evenly in a medium baking dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler with the rack 6 inches from the heat. In a large, nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and light golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Scatter the shallots over the potatoes, then top with the cheese.
- Broil the gratin until the cheese is melted and the shallots are crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 300° oven.
The gratin can be made 1 day ahead and rewarmed, covered, in a 300° oven.
One Serving: (based on 4 person serving size) 266 cal, 7gm fat, 3.7 gm sat fat, 45 gm carb, 6 gm fiber, 8 gm protein.