- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- Kosher salt
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes and garlic with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, shaking out the excess water. Add the half-and-half, butter and cheese to the pot and heat until melted; add the thyme. Remove from the heat. Press the potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the pot and season with salt. Stir over moderate heat until very hot. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.
The recipe can be made earlier in the day and kept at room temperature; warm over moderate heat, stirring constantly.