Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cheese and Fresh Thyme
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
For ultrafluffy potatoes, Grace Parisi presses them through a ricer. To achieve a similar texture, pass the potatoes through a food mill or a fine-mesh sieve. If you choose to mash them by hand, be gentle; otherwise, the potatoes will turn gluey. Grace offers other creative ideas for fluffy mashed potatoes like Mashed Potatoes with Butternut Squash.
Plus: Ultimate Thanksgiving Guide
More Potato Recipes
More Delicious Side Dishes
- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 ounces freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- Kosher salt
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes and garlic with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, shaking out the excess water. Add the half-and-half, butter and cheese to the pot and heat until melted; add the thyme. Remove from the heat. Press the potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the pot and season with salt. Stir over moderate heat until very hot. Transfer to a bowl, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.