Mashed Potatoes with Jalapeño and Cheddar
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
These cheesy Southwestern-style mashed potatoes have an appealing hint of fresh jalapeño heat.
Slideshow: Delicious Mashed Potatoes
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (2 2/3 cups)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large jalapeño—stemmed, seeded and minced
- Freshly ground white pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander, shaking off any excess water.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter in the milk over moderately low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Press the potatoes through a ricer into the pot and mix well. Fold in the mayonnaise and jalapeño and season with salt and white pepper. Serve right away.
Make AheadIf you’re not serving the potatoes right away, let them cool, then transfer to a bowl or large resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Rewarm the potatoes in the microwave in 2-minute intervals, stirring each time, until hot.