Mashed Potatoes with Jalapeño and Cheddar
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10 to 12
These cheesy Southwestern-style mashed potatoes have an appealing hint of fresh jalapeño heat.
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 pound sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded (2 2/3 cups)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large jalapeño—stemmed, seeded and minced
- Freshly ground white pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes in a colander, shaking off any excess water.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter in the milk over moderately low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Press the potatoes through a ricer into the pot and mix well. Fold in the mayonnaise and jalapeño and season with salt and white pepper. Serve right away.