Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
For ultrafluffy potatoes, Grace Parisi presses them through a ricer. To achieve a similar texture, pass the potatoes through a food mill or a fine-mesh sieve. If you choose to mash them by hand, be gentle; otherwise, the potatoes will turn gluey. Grace offers other creative ideas for fluffy mashed potatoes like Mashed Potatoes with Butternut Squash.
More Potato Recipes
More Delicious Side Dishes
- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered (see Note)
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 2 cups canola oil
- 6 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- In a large pot, cover the quartered potatoes and garlic cloves with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the shallots in a single layer and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until they are golden, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels to drain.
- Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, shaking out the excess water. Add the half-and-half and butter to the pot and heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Press the potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the pot and season with salt. Stir and cook over moderate heat until very hot. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a bowl. Just before serving, sprinkle the shallots with salt and garnish the potatoes with the shallots.