Mashed Potatoes with Crème Fraîche and Chives
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 12
These are the perfect mashed potatoes: creamy, fluffy and slightly tangy thanks to the addition of crème fraîche. The chopped chives add an appealing freshness, but purists can omit them.
- 6 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Press the potatoes through a ricer into a large saucepan set over low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the milk with 10 tablespoons of the butter and 1 tablespoon of salt and cook over moderate heat until the butter is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Pour the hot milk over the riced potatoes and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until blended, about 2 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the chives and cook until the potatoes are heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, transfer the mashed potatoes to a bowl and serve.
Make AheadThe mashed potatoes can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 3 hours. Reheat before serving.