- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sweet Marsala
- 1 1/2 cups brewed espresso, cooled
- 4 dozen 1 1/2-inch Italian amaretti cookies (see Note)
- 2 cups mascarpone, at room temperature (1 pound)
- 2 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, blackberries and raspberries
How to make this recipe
- In a large stainless steel bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Set the bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Gradually whisk in the Marsala and whisk constantly until the mixture triples in volume, about 8 minutes. Remove the bowl from the pan and continue whisking for another minute.
- Pour the espresso into a shallow bowl. Dip the amaretto cookies in the espresso one by one and use them to line the bottoms of eight 3 1/2-inch ramekins; use any broken cookies to fill the spaces.
- In a medium bowl, beat the mascarpone with a rubber spatula until creamy. Add the Marsala custard and fold together until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins and refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours. Garnish with the berries and serve.
The mascarpone custards can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 2 days. Serve chilled.
The perfumed sweetness of a Muscat Canneli nicely complements the slightly tart berries and creamy custard.