- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler on the lowest setting and position a rack 12 inches from the heat. Rub 1 tablespoon of the butter on a small rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg with the mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, black pepper and cayenne. Gently fold in the crabmeat and 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs, breaking up the crab into smaller pieces. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Pack one-fourth of the crab mixture into a 1/2-cup dry measuring cup and turn out onto the prepared baking sheet. With slightly damp hands, gently form it into a patty. Repeat with the remaining crab mixture; the patties will be very loose. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs on top of the patties.
- Broil the crab cakes for 5 minutes, or until the crumbs are golden. Drizzle the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter on top and broil for 1 minute longer. With a large spatula, carefully transfer the crab cakes to plates. Serve with lemon wedges.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.
Contributed By Spike Gjerde Photo © Fredrika Stjarne