- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Three 1-inch strips of orange zest
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Toasted baguettes, for serving
- In a bowl, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, paprika and cayenne. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set the rouille aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the fennel and onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 7 minutes. Add the garlic, orange zest and ground cloves and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, 5 minutes. Add the clam juice, tomatoes, saffron and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet, cover and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked, 5 minutes. Discard the zest. Spread the rouille on toasts and serve with the stew.
Crisp Provençal rosé.