- 12 sour or sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound radishes (preferably White Icicle) with fresh greens, radishes thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
How to make this recipe
In a shallow dish, sprinkle the cherries with the balsamic vinegar.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the radishes, radish greens and thyme. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Simmer the soup over moderate heat until the radishes are tender, about 10 minutes.
Working in batches, puree the radish soup in a blender and pour it into a saucepan. Reheat the soup and season it with salt and pepper. Ladle the radish soup into bowls, top with the balsamic cherries and serve.