- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- Two 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes with their juices, crushed
- Kosher salt
How to make this recipe
- In a saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and just starting to brown, 10 minutes. Add the carrot and thyme and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until thickened and reduced to 5 cups, 30 minutes. Season with salt.
The tomato sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.