Batali's Essential Tomato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 5 cups
This excellent, all-purpose tomato sauce is flavored with a little shredded carrot and a good amount of caramelized garlic.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme
- Two 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes with their juices, crushed
- Kosher salt
- In a saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened and just starting to brown, 10 minutes. Add the carrot and thyme and cook, stirring, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until thickened and reduced to 5 cups, 30 minutes. Season with salt.
The tomato sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.