- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds zucchini (about 4), cut in half lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes (about 6), seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound bow ties
How to make this recipe
- In a large frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the garlic, zucchini, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to a large stainless-steel, glass, or ceramic bowl and stir in the tomatoes, basil, vinegar, the remaining 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the bow ties until just done, about 15 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the marinated zucchini and the remaining 1/3 cup oil.
Variation Balsamic-Marinated Zucchini with Bow Ties: For a sweeter dish, you can substitute an equal amount of balsamic vinegar in place of the wine vinegar called for in the recipe.
This dish puts one in mind of the French Mediterranean, and a red or white wine from that region would be a perfect accompaniment. Try a red from the Côtes de Provence or Bandol, a white from the town of Cassis, or even a Rosé from the same area.