Marinated Steak Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
Amazing Steak Recipes
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Four 1-inch-thick boneless steaks (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 Belgian endives, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound escarole, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the shallot, rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir in the vinegar and mustard. Whisk in the walnut oil and vegetable oil. Arrange the steaks on a nonreactive baking sheet, pour 1/4 cup of the dressing on top and turn to coat. Let marinate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the walnuts for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Preheat the broiler. Warm the remaining dressing over low heat; keep warm. Broil the steaks for about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 2 minutes.
- Toss the endives, escarole, Roquefort and walnuts with the dressing and mound on 4 plates. Cut each steak diagonally across the grain into 5 slices and arrange on the salads.