© Wendell T. Webber
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 pounds
George's at the Cove • San Diego
These spicy olives are always on the menu at George's recently renovated bar; they're infused with fennel, a favorite flavoring of chef Trey Foshee. "The licorice flavor always makes me hungry," he says.
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound Niçoise olives (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound Picholine olives (2 1/2 cups)
- 5 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Zest strips from 1 orange, cut into fine julienne
- About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Rinse the olives in a large strainer; drain well. Transfer the olives to a medium bowl. Stir in the toasted fennel seeds, garlic, crushed red pepper and orange zest and add enough olive oil to cover. Let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving.
Make Ahead The olives can be refrigerated for up to 10 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.