- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 pound Niçoise olives (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound Picholine olives (2 1/2 cups)
- 5 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Zest strips from 1 orange, cut into fine julienne
- About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- In a small skillet, toast the fennel seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Rinse the olives in a large strainer; drain well. Transfer the olives to a medium bowl. Stir in the toasted fennel seeds, garlic, crushed red pepper and orange zest and add enough olive oil to cover. Let stand at room temperature for at least 4 hours before serving.
The olives can be refrigerated for up to 10 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.