- 2 large red onions, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
How to make this recipe
Light a grill. Put the onions in a bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set a perforated pan over the grill and add half of the onions. Cook over high heat, tossing with tongs, until lightly charred, about 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining onions.
In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the garlic. Cook over moderately high heat until the garlic starts to brown, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms, celery, bay leaves and vinegar and stir well. Cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring a few times. Stir in the onions and transfer to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and let cool to room temperature. Discard the bay leaves, stir in the basil and serve.
The mushrooms can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Serve lightly chilled or at room temperature.