© Kirsten Strecker
Marinated Carrot Salad with Ginger and Sesame Oil
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Laurent Tourondel grew up in France eating his mother's carrot salad. His Asian take is a little different: The sesame oil, fresh ginger and cilantro add vibrancy to sweet, crunchy carrots.
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ginger juice, squeezed from 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- In a medium bowl, toss the shredded carrots with the garlic, vinegar, 1/2 cup of the cilantro and 1/4 cup of the grapeseed oil. Season the carrots with salt and pepper. Let the carrots stand for 15 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, boil the carrot juice over moderate heat until it is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Let the reduced carrot juice cool slightly, then transfer to a bowl. Whisk in the mayonnaise, sesame oil, ginger juice and the remaining 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil. Season the carrot dressing generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the carrot dressing and the remaining 1/2 cup of cilantro to the carrots and toss the salad well. Transfer to a shallow bowl and serve immediately.
Notes To make ginger juice, puree peeled and chopped fresh ginger in a food processor, then press the puree through a fine sieve.