Marinated Baby Artichokes with Dill and Fresh Ginger
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN plus 4 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 4
Marinated baby artichokes are not a staple of Turkish cuisine in the way that stuffed grape leaves are. But they are a favorite at Karaköy Lokantasi, owned by husband and wife Oral Kurt and Aylin Okutan. The dressing for the artichokes includes a little invigorating fresh-grated ginger, as well as more traditional Turkish flavors, like lemon juice and chopped dill.
- 1 lemon, halved, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 20 baby artichokes
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon half into a large bowl of water, and add the half to the bowl. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off and discard the stem. Pull off the dark outer leaves and trim any dark green patches from the base. Using a serrated knife, cut off the top third of the artichoke. Rub all over with the remaining lemon half and add to the lemon water.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil and add a large pinch of salt. Drain the artichokes and add them to the boiling water. Cover and simmer over moderate heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the artichokes and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow serving dish, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, capers, dill and ginger. Add the artichokes and toss so they’re thoroughly coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate the artichokes, stirring occasionally, for at least 4 hours or overnight. Let the dish return to room temperature before serving.