Marinated Anchovies with Vegetables
- SERVINGS: 8
"I like this dish because of the shock factor," Mario Batali says. "A lot of people don't know what a fresh marinated anchovy is. The only anchovy they know is from a can." Fresh marinated anchovies can be purchased in the deli section of many Italian gourmet markets.
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups Champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 2 medium carrots, cut into very thin matchsticks
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulbhalved lengthwise, cored and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- One 2 1/2-pound head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 1/2 pound thin green beans or haricots verts
- Bagna Cauda Vinaigrette
- 32 marinated anchovy fillets (about 1/2 pound)
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a large glass bowl, combine the water with the vinegar, sugar and salt; stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the carrots, shallots, fennel and cauliflower, submerging them completely in the brine. Cover and refrigerate the vegetables for 24 hours.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook the green beans until bright green and barely tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Pat the beans dry.
- Drain the pickled vegetables and place in a large bowl. Add the green beans and the Bagna Cauda Vinaigrette and toss well. Arrange the vegetables on plates, top with the marinated anchovy fillets and a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and serve.