Marie Boulud's Chicken Liver and Parsley Custard
- SERVINGS: 6
Marie Boulud learned this version of the rich and delicious country classic from her mother, Francine.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 10 ounces firm white mushrooms, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, well-trimmed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- Add the chicken livers and parsley to the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, whisk the cream with the eggs and season with 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Stir the custard into the chicken livers and pour into the prepared gratin dish. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the custard is just set. Serve warm.
A dry mineral wine will enrich this dish with its slight zing. Try a Chardonnay from California.