- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise on the diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 cooked or smoked sausages, such as bockwurst, kielbasa or hot dogs
- 1 1/2 pounds sauerkraut, drained
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine, preferably Riesling
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- Assorted mustards, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 325°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots, cover and cook until the carrots are just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the potatoes and broth and simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are nearly tender, about 15 minutes. Add the sausages and sauerkraut and bring back to a simmer, then add the wine.
Transfer the skillet to the oven and and bake for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the parsley over the choucroute and serve, passing the mustards at the table.
The baked choucroute can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Cover with foil and reheat in a 350° oven for about 45 minutes before serving.