Scallops with Pistachios, Asparagus and Lemon
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
F&W's Marcia Kiesel creates an easy but elegant sauce for scallops by swirling butter into lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
Plus: More Seafood Recipes and Tips
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 large sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup salted, roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a large deep skillet of boiling salted water, cook the asparagus until al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain and cut them into 2-inch lengths.
- Dry the skillet over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and heat until shimmering. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat until browned but barely cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a plate.
- Add the water and lemon juice to the skillet and simmer over moderate heat until reduced by one-third, about 3 minutes. Carefully add any accumulated scallops juices. Add the asparagus and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add chives to the skillet and swirl in the butter until the sauce is smooth and creamy; season the sauce with salt and pepper. Transfer the scallops to plates. Spoon the sauce over the scallops and serve.