- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 9 ounces fresh udon or 5 ounces dried
- 6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped kimchi
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil until shimmering. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry over high heat until browned, about 8 minutes.
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the udon until al dente; drain. Return the udon to the pot. Add the chicken stock, tofu, soy sauce, kimchi and stir-fried mushrooms and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the scallions and sesame oil and serve right away.