- Two 1-pound hanger steaks
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 5-ounce bags baby spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
How to make this recipe
- Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the steaks and cook over moderately high heat until well-browned and crusty, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the spinach one handful at a time and cook over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up any browned bits, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spinach to plates.
- Add the cream to the skillet along with any accumulated meat juices and bring to a simmer over moderately low heat. Whisk in the Gorgonzola cheese and simmer gently until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the steaks across the grain and arrange on the plates with the spinach. Spoon the Gorgonzola sauce on the steaks and spinach and serve immediately.