Curried Tuna Salad with Snow Peas and Avocado
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
F&W's Marcia Kiesel livens up standard tuna salad with a quick curry-scented dressing and a sprinkling of chopped dill.
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 2 Hass avocados, halved, pitted and sliced 1/4 thick
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- One 6-ounce jar of Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained and lightly flaked
- In a small skillet, toast the mustard seeds over moderately high heat until they pop, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small plate. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the skillet and when it is hot, add the curry powder. Cook over moderate heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Scrape the curry oil into a medium bowl and let cool.
- In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the snow peas until bright green, about 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold water; pat dry with paper towels. Cut the snow peas lengthwise into thin strips.
- In a medium bowl, gently toss the avocado with the lemon juice. Whisk the vinegar, dill, sugar and remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into the curry oil and season with salt. Add the snow peas, red pepper, onion and tuna to the dressing and toss. Gently fold in the avocado and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.