- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken (1/2 pound)
- Soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, thinly sliced scallions, chopped cilantro, finely chopped chiles, finely and chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and simmer over low heat, stirring often, until very thick, about 1 hour.
- Stir the chicken into the congee and season with salt. Simmer until the chicken is heated through. Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot, with all the condiments and toppings.
Contributed By Marcia Kiesel Photo Published