- 5 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup short-grain rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken (1/2 pound)
- Soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, thinly sliced scallions, chopped cilantro, finely chopped chiles, finely and chopped roasted unsalted peanuts, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock and water and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and simmer over low heat, stirring often, until very thick, about 1 hour.
- Stir the chicken into the congee and season with salt. Simmer until the chicken is heated through. Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot, with all the condiments and toppings.