© Kana Okada
Maple-Soy Snack Mix
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 27 cups
Savory snack mixes are typically flavored with soy sauce, Worcestershire and butter. Grace Parisi prepares her crunchy mix with a little maple syrup for sweetness and Thai curry paste for heat.
More Tasty Snacks
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 cups Asian rice cracker mix (7 ounces)
- 3 cups pretzel nuggets or mini pretzels (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grade B pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 pounds roasted mixed salted nuts, such as almonds, cashews, pistachios and peanuts (6 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups sesame sticks (8 ounces)
- 12 cups Rice Chex cereal (12 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste or sambal oelek
- Preheat the oven to 275°. In a large bowl, combine the cereal with the nuts, rice cracker mix, sesame sticks and pretzels.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, maple syrup, soy sauce and curry paste and bring to a simmer, whisking to dissolve the curry paste. Pour the mixture over the snack mix and toss to coat completely. Season generously with salt and pepper and spread on 3 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 35 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times and shifting the sheets, until nearly dry and toasted. Let cool completely, stirring occasionally. Serve in bowls.
Make AheadThe snack mix can be stored in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Recrisp if necessary.