Maple-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
This sweet and smoky barbecue sauce is the perfect gift for die-hard winter grillers. Refrigerate it for up to two weeks.
- 3 large chipotle chiles in adobo, stems discarded
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a blender, combine the chipotles with the ketchup, maple syrup, broth and allspice and puree until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat until golden, 5 minutes. Add the chipotle puree. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderate heat until thickened, 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Brush on chicken, beef, lamb, pork or ham during the last few minutes of grilling, broiling or roasting. Or, dilute with a little chicken stock and use to deglaze pan drippings.