Maple-Chile Grilled Quail
- SERVINGS: 8 FIRST-COURSE SERVINGS
These incredibly simple quail are also delicious glazed with honey. To get the best level of spiciness, use a mixture of mild and fiery chile powders, such as ancho and chipotle, or you can use sweet and hot paprika.
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 8 semi-boneless quail
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup and chile powder. Brush the quail with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil on a rimmed baking sheet until browned, about 1 minute per side. Brush the quail all over with the maple glaze and grill or broil them, breast side toward the heat, for about 2 minutes, or until the quail are well browned and just pink at the bone; serve.
Delicate, sweet-flavored quail is best paired with a light, elegant red, such as an Oregon Pinot Noir.