Maple-Bourbon Custards with Almond-Orange Streusel
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN plus overnight chilling
- SERVINGS: 8
At his Baltimore restaurant, Wit & Wisdom, Michael Mina serves these custards with orange toffee and a bourbon-and-smoked-vanilla gelée. This simplified version is perfect for entertaining at home, since everything can be made days in advance.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Make the custards In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the cold water and let stand until softened, 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer over moderate heat. Meanwhile, in a small heatproof bowl, gently whisk the egg yolks. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of the hot cream, then scrape the yolk mixture into the remaining hot cream. Add the salt and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, 3 minutes; don’t let the custard boil. Remove from the heat and whisk in the dissolved gelatin, then whisk in the maple syrup and bourbon.
- Pour the custard into eight 6-ounce ramekins or glasses and refrigerate overnight.
- Make the streusel Preheat the oven to 275°. In a mini food processor, pulse the almonds until coarsely ground. Add the flour, sugar and salt and pulse a few times to blend. Add the melted butter and pulse to combine. Transfer the mixture to a rimmed baking sheet and crumble with your fingers to form clumps. Spread the clumps in an even layer and bake for about 12 minutes, until starting to dry out. Using 2 forks, toss the mixture once, then bake for 5 minutes longer, until lightly golden.
- Increase the oven temperature to 350°. Break up the streusel into crumbs. Bake the crumbs for about 3 minutes longer, until golden brown and crisp. Stir in the orange zest and let cool completely.
- Top the custards with the streusel and serve right away.